To read about F's and my London trip, start here and click "newer post" to continue the story.

Friday, February 08, 2008

No flu yet. And the soup is dayum good. How did I make it? you ask.

I cooked one package each of chicken breasts and thighs. Removed the skin first. While the chicken was cooking I dumped in a whole jar of hot salsa. (I was worried that that was too much b/c while the soup was cooking my eyes started watering, even with the hood on. Turns out it is just exactly spicy enough.) When the chicken had cooked I removed it and added some chopped celery, carrots, onion, mushrooms, and a handful or so of brown rice. Took the meat off the bone, shredded it a bit, and put it back in. Continued to simmer until the carrots were done. I set the pot in the sink in cold water to cool quickly so it could be refrigerated, and then divided it into disposable single-serving containers (which we don't dispose of, we wash and re-use.) After I heated my serving tonight I garnished it with bits of avocado. And I had tortilla chips on the side.

R had some today and he thought it was good. You probably know that capsaicin, which is the chemical that makes chili peppers hot, is a natural pain killer. It's counterintuitive, but there it is. So you should go for the salsa when you have a sore throat. I have had success "treating" mild migraines with it.

No comments: