To read about F's and my London trip, start here and click "newer post" to continue the story.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Well, let's see. Time for a Deep Thought, I guess.

How about the Meaning of Success.

I've heard it said that it's impossible to define success for another person. I disagree with that. The story is usually told that a businessman spends all his time and mental energy on making a lot of money, and in his old age is wealthy but estranged from his family. Could you say he is a success? Or not?

In my opinion, it depends. I think success can be defined as achievement of goals. If the businessman in the story wants to be wealthy and doesn't much care what his family thinks of him, then he is a success. If he always thought his twilight years would see him surrounded by loving children and grandchildren, then he is not a success.

I think people slip up when they never take the time to ask themselves what their goals really are, or whether they are on track for meeting them. New Year's resolutions are a good venue for having exactly that take place, and they are conveniently prompted once a year.

3 comments:

Nightlegend said...

You are right ,every one should define his/her own success borders ,some people will feel satisfied after reaching a certain goals they planned in earlier stages of their lives ,others may have a restless spirit and never feels satisfied ,and it's doesn't has to be a wealthy success or similar kinds ,some people feels very succefull after reaching a very simple goals.

Laura(southernxyl) said...

My friends and I keep asking each other how much is enough. If we eat on a regular basis, have comfortable homes, go to the doctor when we're sick, aren't being shot or rounded up for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, we're way ahead of most humans since the dawn of time. Still I see some expensive home or furniture or whatever that I know I'll never be able to afford and I feel a twinge. Dumb.

I've heard that contentment isn't so much having what you want, as wanting what you have.

citizen_us said...

Interesting place, Laura.
Nice.