To read about F's and my London trip, start here and click "newer post" to continue the story.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The recent news about Charles and Camilla visiting the U.S. makes me think of the time that F asked me about that whole Charles - Diana - Camilla thing. I think that if people are going to get married they should make their vows in good faith, which I don't think Charles did in his first marriage, and then they ought to stand by them. So I was probably a little less-than-favorable toward Charles when I told her about all of that. But then she asked me why, after all those years, and his marriage, and her marriage, he still wanted her, and I had to say, "I guess she really is his true-love." Too bad he didn't have the guts to put his foot down in the first place.

There are people in our Sunday School class who have been married for 50 or 60 years (we go to the old folks' class) and they are so sweet to each other. They look at each other tenderly and speak of each other with affection. They're good role models for R and me. I hope someday we're a couple of old folks setting a good example for the young'uns.

Married love, of course, isn't all about feelings. Feelings change, inevitably. A woman in our church who does pre-marital and couple counseling says that young folks don't want to hear that after the initial spark blows out, love is about behavior. I know that's true. R and I are always polite and respectful to each other. We say "please" and "thank you". He fixes my dinner, I wash his underwear, and so forth. Some people think that home is where you can let down your facade and act any old way you want to. I think that home is supposed to be a haven for everyone, and that means you have to reserve your best behavior for your family. After all, they deserve the best you have, right?

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." - I Corinthians 13

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post, especially the last quote from the scriptures. Everything you say makes sense. Much, much respect.

Laura(southernxyl) said...

Thank you for your kind words.