To read about F's and my London trip, start here and click "newer post" to continue the story.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Just flew in from Orlando - and boy are my arms tired!

(Sorry about that. Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

I worked until lunchtime on Wednesday and then came home and packed real quick, and R took me to the airport.

Apparently something about my purse looked funny to the x-ray person b/c he called somebody over. But he pushed the tub toward me a bit and said with mock sternness, "Here are your shoes, young lady!" so I didn't feel like I was treated like a criminal. The person who came over pawed through my purse and didn't find anything scary so on I went.

Turbulence as we approached Orlando through a thunderstorm. As long as there's nothing to run into and you don't get dashed to the ground, that's really OK. (I think.) No point in fretting, anyway. Then I acquired my rental car and drove out of Orlando in a blinding cloudburst. Unfamiliar highway with about 17 lanes (exaggerating here), a rental car, and almost zero visibility. I kept thinking - where's my headache? I really think the nadolol is doing a terrific job.

I found my hotel w/o incident. All the hotels were full or close to, and I ended up in a handicap-accessible room. Apparently people in wheelchairs do not have anything they have to put down in the bathroom ... toothbrushes ... combs .... makeup. There was NOWHERE TO PUT MY STUFF except on the edge of the sink, which was narrow and not flat, and everything kept falling onto the floor. I thought that if I were in a wheelchair I would be very frustrated with this.

Spent the day from 8:00 AM to 2:30 PM grilling and being grilled. I'm pretty sure they are going to make me an offer.

Then back to Orlando to find the rental car return; funny how this was not nearly as convenient as renting the thing in the first place; and back into the airport. Security level orange, or something. I hadn't had a chance to change out of my interview suit and got barked at for not putting my jacket on the bin. Just didn't think to do it. The person who barked was apologetic immediately after and kept explaining himself. Maybe I had a look on my face. I saw TSA people everywhere, looking grim. As we boarded they pulled aside several people with carry-ons that had already gone through the security check and pawed through them again.

Then my seatmate asked a couple of questions about where I'd been and why. When I told him I'd interviewed for a job as a quality manager, he responded that he had done quality for the last 30 years. We had a very satisfying chat for the 1.5 hours back to Memphis. I have his card and am to e-mail him. Never talk to strangers, ha ha. I break that rule all the time. It used to appall F.

More turbulence as we descended into Memphis. Some of the folks in the plane were kind of verbal about it. You know, I'm too claustrophobic ever to go in a submarine and caves make me nervous, but flying just does not bother me.

So in the AM I have a dr. appt. and then I will be going in to work. I am tired as a dog.

And my boss knows where I went. He'll be wondering how it was, and I will tell him that he'll probably get a call asking about me.


Tsiporah said...

I'm glad everything went well. I am crossing my fingers for you!!

Laura(southernxyl) said...


CreoleInDC said...

I'm claiming this one for you Chica!

Laura(southernxyl) said...

Thanks Monnie - but don't claim it too hard, I might want the one in Chattanooga! I interview there on Tuesday.